Thursday, September 29, 2016

What to feed a 15 month old + Nuby Weighted Straw Cup

For me, creating a nutritious meal for Leah has been one of my biggest parenting challenges. It was easy when she was on jar baby food - but then she started demanding real food.
During the week, Leah attends daycare and they supply a nutritious breakfast, lunch and snack for her....so I am only responsible for one meal and a snack during the week which makes it a little easier. But since I work 40hours a week - I need something super quick that doesn't take a long time to prepare.  I figure a lot of people are in the same boat, or need baby/toddler dinner ideas, so here are some things that I normally feed Leah for dinner.
I always try to feed Leah a protein, vegetable, carb and a fruit for her meals.
Proteins: Meatballs, Fishsticks, Scrambled Eggs with Cheese, Turkey Deli Meat,
Chicken Nuggets (I get the organic lightly breaded kind), Salmon, Yogurt
Vegetables: Green Beans, Corn, Peas, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes
Carbs: Tortillas, Pita Bread with Hummus, Toast with Peanut Butter,
Crackers, Mac and Cheese, Pasta (she likes cheese tortellini)
Fruit: Bananas, Pears, Mandarin Oranges, Blueberries, Strawberries,
Grapes (cut in half) (basically she will try all the fruits)
So for lunch and dinner, I usually mix and match a variety of these things together to create her meal. Some of these items are just a simple 45 seconds in the microwave (meatballs, chicken nuggets), some of them require a few minutes on the stove (cooking carrots, green beans, mac and cheese, etc), and some of them need some knife time (grapes, strawberries, pita bread) but ALL of them are super easy and makes preparing dinner during the week soooo easy!


I also wanted to tell you about a great cup, incase you wanted to train your little one on straw drinking. We got the Flip n' Sip w/ 360 Weighted Straw Cup for Leah and she quickly learned how to drink from a straw with this cup.  I do think this cup has some pros and cons, though.
PRO: No Spill, Soft Silicone Straw, Easy to Hold, I like the size of it, the 360 weighted straw allows to drink from any angle and reaches low levels of liquid, has a flip top to keep the straw clean, etc!
CON: Hard to clean, several pieces, takes a little bit of time to put it back together.
 I do like things to be easy, so washing this cup seemed like a chore. (However, I do hand wash all of Leah's cups) For those that have a sterilizer or throw things in the dishwasher, this is probably not a problem for you at all! All in all - it's a great cup and Leah really enjoys drinking out of it, so we will continue to use it! :)

And just for fun: here is Leah eating lunch with her friends at Daycare:
What are some quick dinners you prepare your little ones?

1 comment:

Tab said...

Oh, man, something about toddlers sitting around a tiny dining table all proper just tickles me lol!