Monday, July 6, 2015

Leah's Birth Story

Hi everyone! I'm finally back to share the amazing birth story of sweet little Leah. 
Let's just jump right into it...

The day before my due date I had my final 40 week doctors appointment.  The doctor checked my cervix, and just like every week leading up to it, I was 0cm dilated and 0% effaced. It looked like our little girl wasn't in any rush to come out. The doctor said she would call me the next day with an induction date for the following week.  CV and I both left the appointment a little disappointment, but we thought..."at the most...we will meet her in one week!"

I woke up the next morning on my due date, feeling completely normal, and started getting ready for work.  I took a shower, and as always, I stand in a towel while I blow dry my hair and put on my makeup.  Well, as I was standing in the bathroom blow drying my hair.....a trickle of "water" ran down my legs.  I immediately thought I peed myself and ran to the toilet and sat down.  I emptied my bladder...and then continued to blow dry my hair.  Then, it happened again....and I knew at that point my water had broke.  CV was in the shower in our other bathroom, so I just patiently waited for him to come out, and continued to fix my hair. (I mean, I can't go to the hospital with wet hair!) ha!  CV finally got out of the shower and I said "sooooo....either my water just broke, or I just peed myself twice!" And happened again, more water trickled down my leg.

We honestly were both very calm about the whole thing. Chris called the doctor to tell them my water broke, they told us to head to the hospital right away, I packed my last minute hospital bag items, snapped one last bump date photo, and we got in the car and were on our way to the hospital!! :)

When we got to the hospital, the nurse confirmed my water had broke. She said I was now 1cm dilated and 80% effaced.  Since I was only 1cm dilated, they had to start pitocin right away to speed up the labor. They gave me an IV (my first IV) and all that fancy stuff and sent us to the delivery floor where CV and I walked around the hospital floor to speed up the labor. I started feeling major contractions! We finally had to sit in our room because walking was pretty hard when my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart.
Every few hours I would ask them to check my cervix...thinking "I HAVE to be at least 5cm by now"....and every time I was only 1cm! Which is very frustrating after going through all those contractions! Finally, the contractions got so strong I had to ask for my epidural. I think I was only 2cm at this point, but at least 7+ hours into labor.  I was feeling soooooo good after the epidural!
CV's best friend stopped by to bring CV lunch and they played cards while I rested. It was a nice distraction for the both of us! 
I find these photos hilarious! Not a lot of husbands have time for a game of Rumy while their wife is in labor!! haha.
About this time, I was relaxing and the nurse came in to check my cervix and she finally said "great news, you are now 5cm dilated!" We were super excited to hear good progress! 
Then, all the sudden another nurse comes in and puts an oxygen mask on me, which for some reason I thought was standard practice since I felt fine.  Then, my nurse got on the phone and called in a "code red" to my room. I looked at CV confused, like, what in the world is going on. 
Ten doctors rushed into the room, one gave me a shot in the leg, others were checking on the baby, etc., others were prepared for an emergency operation. I was FREAKING OUT and crying behind my oxygen mask - and I couldn't even hold CV's hand since they had pushed him out of the way! I had no idea what was going on.  
Apparently, my blood pressure went way down, and the babies heart rate dropped drastically and it was down for 5 minutes.....
Luckily, the doctors were able to help us. They removed my waist monitors for contractions and heart rates and attached it internally on the babies head for a more accurate reading to keep an eye on her. 
I wore the oxygen mask for a while and finally everything was good. Shew!
Definitely a terrifying experience!
The rest of the day was just waiting around..."waiting" for the doctor to finally tell me it was time to push. I slowly kept progressing from 5cm, to 7cm, to 9cm (where I was for the last few hours), to 10cm....and then we had to wait for me to be fully effaced. 
Finally at 11:30PM (15+ hours after my water broke), it was time to start pushing. 
The doctors set up a mirror so I could watch the entire birth happen. I  didn't think I would want to watch something like that at all, and I KNEW I didn't want CV to look....but after seeing my baby crowning and coming into the world, I couldn't help but stare and yell at CV to "look now! This is incredible!!". It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.
45 minutes of pushing and we finally got to meet our beautiful daughter at 12:18am!
The doctors put her right on my chest (and she immediately peed and pooped on me!) and cleaned her all up while she was laying on me. She was absolutely beautiful and we couldn't stop staring at each other. 
Then, they took her away for a few short minutes to measure her and get her weight. 
She was 7 pounds and 4.4 ounces and 20 inches long.
 We stayed in the delivery room for a few hours before heading to the recover room...I breastfed for the first time and we both just soaked up all our time with our little one.
The entire day was purely incredible and I'm so glad that it happened exactly the way it did.
Little Leah is finally here and she's perfect!


Kayla MKOY said...

This is BEAUTIFUL, Jax!!!! So so amazing. I've been waiting for this post :) I'm sorry it got a little intense and scary at one point but I'm so happy she is healthy and so are you!!!! She's amazing. You did it! So proud of you! :)

Anne said...

I love reading birth stories! Thanks for sharing. Other than that scary bit, it sounds like it was a reasonably relaxed but also very meaningful experience for you - that is so great! And Hendrik totally pooped on me immediately too :)

Congrats again on your little bundle of sweetness!

Candice Lynn said...

and i get to snuggle her on Friday!!!! :)

Health, Love & Fire said...

She's absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your birth story. As I get closer to our little girl's arrival, I find it so comforting to hear about other people's experiences!

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

I got a little teary reading this. Congratulations! :) She is beautiful and I am so glad you're both okay. Got a little scary for a second!

Brittany said...

Awww what a great birth story minus that scary part!! Too funny that she immediately pooped on you.

Erin LFF said...

Such a beautiful baby, momma and story! I am SO glad the scary bit ended up okay and everyone is healthy and perfect!! Seriously so happy for you, friend :) Leah is precious!

brittany @ g squared said...

So amazing! So glad everything went well for you besides your little scare. She is gorgeous!

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

Beautiful! Congrats!

meghan said...

Congratulations! This is such a wonderful delivery story! I'm so glad that it all worked out so wonderfully.

Brittany said...

I'm so unbelievably happy for you, Jax! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you when you weren't sure what was going on! Other than that (and the SUPER LONG wait to finally get pushing), it seems like everything went wonderfully! She's absolutely beautiful!

Tab said...

Congratulations - how exciting!