Tuesday, March 17, 2015

{DIY} Abstract Art Painting

I've been on the search for the perfect painting to hang above the crib for months...
I had this vision of pink and gold abstract art to give the baby a fun/artsy/sophisticated nursery - but the only thing I could find that I liked was this painting. But....at $250 (that's the sale price) - I decided to keep looking!
After still not finding anything for a reasonable price - I decided to attempt to create my own little pink and gold abstract art. (I can do this myself, right???) So, after a trip to Hobby Lobby to buy a canvas, paint, paintbrushes, etc,....a masterpiece was ready to be made.
(This is the scary moment when I realize I have a huge blank canvas and I have no real plan and no idea what I'm doing! haha!)
I started out my painting on a base coat of pink and gold where I wanted it to be...
(When you're fancy like me - you use paper plates covered in plastic wrap as your paint tray. haha.  I figured the paper would absorb and we didn't have any plastic plates - so - I had to do what worked!)
I then loosely mixed my paints to create some colorful texture and used similar brushstrokes all over the painting.
I didn't really like that it wasn't well blended at this point...so I mixed some gold and pink together and went over it to blend the colors together.
And here's the final product!!
 
It took me a few hours to get used to it - I really wasn't happy with it at first but my amazing hubby, CV, saw it and was so excited! He couldn't have said nicer things about it - and even suggested I keep painting things for the rest of the house! So now...it's definitely grown on me more and more - and I can honestly say I love it now! 
This is the first piece of artwork I've made my daughter - and even though it might not be exactly what I envisioned - it is so much more special than any store bought piece of artwork.
I can't wait for baby girl to see what her momma made her!

What do you think???

7 comments:

My Life as A Plate said...

Looks awesome! I love the colors I am super impressed.

Kayla MKOY said...

I love that YOU made this for her! Makes it 100x more special!!!! :) looks awesome!

Brittany said...

I love it! It looks super professional...and of course, so much more meaningful than anything you could buy.

Brianne Bracco said...

Seriously...amazing!!! I love the colors... Absolutely beautiful :)

Jess Scott said...

That looks amazing! I love the colors against the wall....GOOD JOB!!!!

Sarah said...

Love love love it!

Erin LFF said...

Seriously LOVE it Jax! So special and beautiful! :)