Wednesday, January 14, 2015

How to Eat an Entire (Family Size) Container of Spinach at Dinner

I'm always trying to add more spinach to my diet - but let's face it...salads are boring.
And every time I add more than a small handful of spinach to my smoothie - it completely ruins the taste and the texture. Ugh!
 
Luckily, I learned how to make my mom's Korean spinach side dish...and I can't get enough of it!
Every time I go to Memphis, I head straight for my mom's fridge and devour all of her tasty spinach! (She always has it on hand.) But I honestly didn't think about making it MY DAMN SELF until recently...
 
Intrigued? Want to make it?
Here's my recipe + some bad iphone pictures! :)
 
Ingredients:
10 oz of baby spinach (I love the Organic Girl Family Size Spinach. It's already washed 3 times so you don't have to wash it.) (If you buy regular spinach - wash it and cut off the roots.)
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
Pinch of Salt
Sesame Seeds
 
Directions:
1. Prepare an Ice Bath in a large bowl. (half ice/half water)
It's important to have this ready before you boil your spinach.
2. Blanch the Spinach: Boil water in a large pot on high heat. Blanch spinach in boiling water on high heat for 30seconds -1 min or until they die down.
3. Drain & Put in Ice: Drain the hot spinach and put all spinach in the ice bath for about 3-5minutes until cold.
4. Squeeze:  This is the most important step.  Use your hands to squeeze ALL the water out of the spinach. (I let CV do this part because he gets more water out than I do!)
5. Season: Season spinach with a pinch of salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic and sesame seeds. Mix well, tossing with a fork.
You can eat it now - but I like to put mine in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to make it really cold.
(photo pre-sesame seeds)
And there you have it! A super tasty spinach side dish that will go with anything!
(We served it alongside chicken, veggies & rice for dinner)
 
(AND YES - that entire family size container only makes a tiny bowl of spinach! Usually when I make it, I can eat the entire thing in one sitting - unless CV wants some - then I will eat half!)


2 comments:

Elise @ Cheers Yall said...

This is awesome. Get it girl! Feed that baby those greeny greens! :)
xx

Ericka said...

I always like to try new ways to add greens to our meals, so I will have to try this!