Friday, October 10, 2014

NOT doing it all...

When I first started my photography business, I was pretty eager to photograph everything and everyone who was willing to hire me. I really didn't know what exactly I wanted to photograph - because well, I had NO experience in photographing anything yet.
But now, and in the 20 months I've been in business, I've photographed children, families, extended families, proposals, newborns, bridal portraits, parties, engagements, events, maternity, seniors, couples and weddings.
Phew - that is a lot of different offerings.
And I can honestly say, some of these categories I absolutely LOVE photographing.
But there are some I don't necessarily love to photograph.
I've known this about myself for a while now...but when someone calls and wants to hire me for X amount of money...and I'm free that day. It's really hard to turn down the money. (Even though that "gig" isn't necessarily what I really want to be photographing.)
But if I want to be happy as a photographer...I need to only photograph the things that I WANT TO PHOTOGRAPH. I mean, this is my SIDE business by the way.
 I need to remember NOT to take jobs for the money, but to take jobs because I truly enjoy doing them. I don't need to do it all!
Soooooo, with that being said.
This month I'm taking a dive into my current photography offerings and removing the categories that don't give me that extra special feeling when I get booked for a job.
So stay tuned.
As this might be the last time you see any wedding photography from me...
....or is it???? :)
 
*Thanks for checking out all my sneak peeks from the past few sessions! :)


6 comments:

Anne said...

Well I'm hoping kids/families/maternity are in your "like" category ;-)

Candice Lynn said...

I hope you keep doing weddings. you're so good at it! and I hope "friends" are in your list...because I want you to shoot us one day :)

Erin LFF said...

I'm super curious to know what you LOVE and DONT love photographing :) You're so talented and I think you're smart to just focus more on the things you enjoy most! It's your business, run it how you want!!

natalie {stickles 5} said...

You can swear off all small children except for mine! ;) I still want my "Day in the life" and pictures of Huck!! Don't forget me! ;)

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness - you tease! I really want to know what you're cutting out. It's smart to focus on your passions and things that make you happy, but girl, I need that blogger wedding package! ;)

Allison said...

But you do them all so well! I'm sad that I already know you don't love newborn sessions, buuuut you gotta stick with what you love. :)