Thursday, February 13, 2014

In the Hospital

Just when I thought this year couldn't get any worse...

CV and I went out for a fun dinner on February 1st.
We told ourselves that February 1st was going to be the beginning of our New Year since January was a such a tragic month...so we waited until February to have peace and have a fresh start with the beginning of our "new year".

Well, after we got home from dinner on our "new years day", CV was having some severe body pains. 
He couldn't physically move. His body was shaking uncontrollably. It was so severe that I ended up calling 911...right before midnight.

We arrived in the emergency room via ambulance..and within minutes of CV getting an X-ray, doctors were rushing to our room to inform us that they needed to preform an emergency surgery on his stomach....they gave him pain meds, made me sign a consent form, answered a bunch of questions....and in no time at all, they were wheeling him away for emergency surgery. 

I waited and waited for the news that he was out of surgery and doing well...finally after 4 hours of waiting....I finally got to see my husband recovering from his surgery!
Sooooooo thankful he did well in surgery and was stable!


He had a stomach ulcer that ruptured...it was so severe that the surgeons couldn't patch the wound. They ended up removing a third of his stomach, among a few other intestinal things surrounding the stomach.  They did a lot of re-routing of his digestive system, which is a very serious surgery.


His surgery was the morning of Superbowl Sunday....so of course he wanted to invite his friends over for some pain meds and football! (He slept during the entire game of course! But I love that his friends came over to be with him!)
*See the "couch" his friend is sitting on the right??? Yup, that was my bed all week long!


And he even got some funny balloons from his friend DK. Haha. 
The doctors who came to our room every morning were confused by the balloons, as expected!


Despite the pain and discomfort CV was it, he stayed positive the entire week...and even sat up in bed within 24 hours of his surgery! That's one tough cookie!

And Day Two, he was sitting in a chair!! His goal was sitting for 2 hours, and he did it! 
Huge Victory!!

And by Day Three he was standing up and doing a little walking!!

The doctors wouldn't let him eat/drink or even have ice chips for three full days! 
Somehow, CV still stayed positive.

We had a lot of friends stop by to visit...one who brought CV a brand new stomach 
(and a petri dish full of ulcers!!) Isn't that adorable?

Finally, on Day Four his nose tubes came out. 
He couldn't eat anything yet, but he could have clear liquids! Hallelujah!!

And on Day Five he was cleared to eat soft foods and was walking a full MILE around the hospital floor with his dads support!! Amazing!!
Doesn't he look great??!!! 
(Yes, he let me snuggle in his hospital bed when he was feeling better!)


And finally on Day Six, Friday, February 7th, CV was discharged and was ready to start his recovery at home. 

It's been a rough year to say the least, but I couldn't be more thankful he got to the hospital when he did, and that the three amazing surgeons who worked on him were on call and took care of him.

Now, we are recovering at home...and we plan to start our new "New Years" on March 1st.
Please wish us a good one!



19 comments:

Lauren said...

This is so scary! So glad you got him to the hospital when you did! It looks like you have great, supportive friends. I hope recovery isn't too hard on either of you and that your new year starts off with no issues in March!

Libby Boyes said...

That sounds terrifying! I'm sorry you've had such a rough start to 2014 but glad you have each other and that CV is doing better! I'll be thinking of you guys!!

Becky said...

My gosh! I'm so glad you guys got to the hospital in time and it sounds like he did a great job recovering! I will be praying that March 1st will be the GOOD start to the new year you need! :)

Ericka said...

OMG! So glad that CV is ok and that he is home recovering. What a scary thing to go through, I can't even imagine. Sending get well wishes his way!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness!! So glad he is recovering well!! My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!!

Katie said...

I am so sorry, Jax! This is a horrible way to start 2014. Wishing the best for you guys and your fresh start for March 1st :)

Nadine Lynn said...

Yikes! That is so scary!!! I am glad to hear that everything is going well now. May March be a better month for you! They say the third time's the charm!

Erin LFF said...

You know I've been praying for you guys so much. So proud of what a fighter CV is and how good he did in the hospital! Praying for a speedy recovery!

Laura {happily ever} Parker said...

Been thinking about you girl! Glad his surgery went smoothly and so glad you called 911! A lot of times guys let the pain ride out so I am glad you had your instinct. March 1st I will remember to wish you Happy New Year!

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that he's better. You poor thing! Let's fast-forward to March!

Rebeka said...

Oh my goodness, that is so SO scary. I'm glad his recovery is going so smoothly. Sending you guys all the positive thoughts. I hope March 1st brings some happiness and normality.

Pamela said...

Bless his heart!! Glad he is better now!

Kayla MKOY said...

Jax I've so been praying for you and your family - hope you know that :) you and your man are such strong people. I'm so happy CV is alright!

Megan @ Grad Student Needs Hobby said...

I'm so glad to hear he's recovering and doing better. As someone who has spent a lot of time in hospitals watching my husband recover (while we were dating), I know the toll it takes on you to be a constant positive presence. Also sleeping on hospital couch/beds = not the most restful! Here's to not having to wait until March 1 for a better new year - I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!
(Also, aren't those organ plushies great? After heart surgery my husband got a new heart and he loved it!)

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

oh my gosh can life just not come full force sometimes?! I am so glad to hear that he recovered so fast!

Bethany Cole said...

I have been meaning to send you a message. I am so sorry for these tough times and I am hoping the rest of the year goes so well for you!

Becca Moss said...

Y'all just can't catch a break! I've been praying for you since I seen your post on IG. Praying for a fast recovery for CV!

P!nky said...

OH my goodness I'm just catching this, I'm so sorry. You are so strong!!!!!

Prayers to your husband!

Brianne Bracco said...

First, I have no idea how I missed this post cause I knew he was in the hospital.... So happy he has been home and they caught it! And CV recovered so well because he had such an amazing strong wife by his side the whole way. Love you so much friend! xoxo