Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Average Wedding Costs $28,427. Does Mine?

I saw this "average wedding costs" all over pinterest and it left me curious.
"Am I higher or lower than the average???"
Let's see, shall we! 
Reception Venue Average $12,905
          I assume this means the rental only? If so..
Our Venue: Lower
Engagement Ring Average $5,431
I don't consider this part of our "wedding budget" since CV paid for it. But...
My Engagement Ring: Higher
Reception Band Average $3,084
 Our Reception Band: Lower (we aren't having a band)
Photographer Average $2,379
Our Photographer: Higher
Ceremony Site Average $1,711
Our Ceremony Site: Lower
Wedding Gown Average $1,211
 My wedding gown: Lower
But when you consider all my attire: shoes, veil, jewelry, alterations it's higher.
Florist/Decor Average $1,997
Our florist/decor: Higher
Videographer Average $1,619
Our videographer: Lower (we aren't having a professional videographer)
Wedding Planner Average: $1,847
Our Wedding Planner: Lower (we aren't having a planner)
Groom's Tuxedo Average $230
CVs Tuxedo: Lower
Rehearsal Dinner Average: $1,135
Our Rehearsal Dinner: Higher (not paid yet, but we are having an open bar with premium drinks, so I imagine it will be higher!)
Reception DJ Average: $988
Our DJ: Higher
Transportation Average $708
Our transportation: Lower (not booked yet, but I imagine it will be lower)
Ceremony Musician Average $554
Our ceremony musician: Lower
Wedding Cake Average $560
Our wedding cake: Lower (not ordered yet, but I imagine it will be lower)
Invitations Average $344
Our Invitations: Lower
But when you consider all paper products of programs, menus, thank you cards, etc, it is higher.
Favors Average $221
Our favors: Higher
Catering Average $63/head
Our catering: Higher

Out of 18 items, we had 11 lower and 7 higher.
However, this little list doesn't consider all the other things we will pay for: 
wedding license, officiant fees, bridal accessories/shoes/purse/jewelry/veil, hair, makeup, gifts for wedding party, gifts for bride/groom, wedding bands, table numbers, place cards, programs, menus, save the date cards, engagement pictures, accommodations for wedding night, THE HONEYMOON!!
AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.

So...the average wedding costs $28,427. But when you consider EVERYTHING you have to spend.
It's very easy for it to be a whole lot more!

How did your wedding stack up?

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I thought I did pretty well with my wedding. It was only $6000 and a lot of people said it was the best wedding they had ever been to.

Meredith said...

ouch. no way we're spending that much, we're using most of our money for a down payment on a house. I need to do this too to see where we're at, it'll be interesting.

Ericka said...

We won't be anywhere close to that...I'm thinking we will be 12,000-15,000 when all is said and done. There so many little things that add up quickly though!

Candice Lynn said...

There is ALWAYS something to pay for. OMG it never ends. Ha. I'm not proud of it, but ours was a tiny bit higher I THINK (less than 5K higher). However, I think we had a great party :) And it helped that my mom and dad paid for most and they are "separate" since they are divorced so it wasn't so much on one of them.

Jordon said...

some are higher and some are lower. At the end of the day, I will not be paying that pricetag though! It is crazy how expensive this thing is getting!

Mary said...

Wow I'm jealous of the gals ahead of me that they didn't spend nearly the average. We definitely will! Sigh...having 200+ guests really bumps up the budget, you know? Oh well, it's going to be amazing and I can't wait!

jayme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jayme said...

dang! i wish! just as an example of how the budget gets out of control:

we budgeted $6,000 for drinks for the reception - open bars and about 300 people. when we got the bill, it was a little more than TWICE that much!! i almost shot myself in the face, but i decided to pour myself a glass of wine instead.

Kayla @ Keeping Up With Kayla said...

WOW. Love this. I think I want to do this too and see how we are measuring up :)

Ginny @ Buttergirl Diaries said...

Hi Jax! 27,000 is a LOT! Mine is going to cost about $12-15,000. That is still a lot to some people but the parents are happy to do so and we are contributing a fair portion as well. Ithink there are SO many venue options that are reasonably priced, it's the GUEST # and the ALCOHOL that is the killer to me. I opted to do a cash bar but mom and dad said ABSOLUTELY NOT. It's tacky. And I agree. I mean, we aren't going clubbing :)

Can't wait to read more posts.

Can we swap buttons? How do I do this? I don't see your button.

Ginny

Saxon @ Lets Drink Coffee, Darling said...

We invited around 200, fed everyone, and basically had the wedding of our dreams for around $6,500. We didn't serve alcohol, which could have factored in to the low cost.